In 1935, J. Edgar Hoover, the first Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said, “Offenses of robbery and burglary are most frequently committed in the winter months.” Fast forward to today, and burglaries are 11% more common in the summer than the winter, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
The rate of household crimes tends to be higher in the summer than during other seasons of the year due to a variety of factors, including the following:
- Better weather during the warmer months means more people are out and about, including more thieves, vandals and burglars.
- During the summer, people tend to leave their windows open more often to cool down, especially at night. Be aware of these vulnerabilities.
- Warm weather causes people to spend more time away from their homes as they enjoy outdoor activities before colder weather arrives. Leaving a home unoccupied more often give burglars a perfect opportunity to stake out and break into your home.
Understanding seasonal patterns of crime shouldn’t keep you away from all that summer fun. There are ways to protect and monitor your home, no matter where you are.
One of the best ways to protect your home and family this summer is with the use of a Wifi nanny cam powered by the Honeywell security system. Using cameras powered the Honeywell Lyric system, you’ll have the following:
- Real-Time Video Alerts- Customize alerts by time, day, or motion detection so you only see what you want to see. Use your nanny cam to know if a delivery arrives, view who comes and goes and see what’s going on when you’re not there.
- Camera Viewing- View up to four indoor or outdoor nanny cams at a time right on the Lyric Controller. Or, look in six cameras via mobile devices- a great way to keep on your family and home wherever the day takes you.
Partnering with Alarm New England means you would not only receive alerts on your nanny cam about the safety of you home but we would also perform 24/7 home alarm monitoring services at an Underwriter's Laboratory-Approved local central station in New England. This monitoring station protects more than 27,000 properties – many of which are your local neighbors, children's schools and friendly communities.
Download our free Honeywell Lyric product guide to learn more about you can safeguard your home and family this summer with Alarm New England.